The Technology Transfer Office was established in Jordan in January 2010 in cooperation with the Higher Council for Science and Technology, the SRTD project and the IPCO Patent Office in Al Hassan Science City.
The Office aims to support the technological activities of the university and improve the local industry by linking the academic and industrial aspects and working on the investment of scientific research results for the establishment of start-up companies and the protection of intellectual property rights.
Work Mechanism of Technology Transfer Office :
- The inventor/ innovator, if they are more than one person, they shall submit a written note to the office of Technology Transfer in order to start filing applications for protection of intellectual property with the concerned authorities. The memorandum shall be accompanied by a form of disclosure approved by the Office and filled by the inventor or innovator.
- The inventor/ inventor shall undertake that all the information provided in the request for disclosure is correct and that the intellectual property is one of their creations and not shared by any other person within or outside the university.
- The inventor / innovator shall undertake that he will not publish the intellectual property before the expiry of the period of 63 months from the date of submission of the disclosure form, unless he is informed with a written form by the technology transfer office with agreement on the publication, in order to preserve the novelty of intellectual property.
- The disclosures are evaluated by the Office of Technology Transfer in terms of novelty, innovation and industrial applicability and the results of its assessment are presented to the Creativity Committee. The results include the types of rights that can be protected and market opportunities and may be used by third parties under agreements prepared for this purpose.
- In the event that the University wishes to proceed with the protection of intellectual property, the Office of Technology Transfer shall manage the depositary affairs and prepare the necessary technical and legal documents and shall be entitled to use third parties under agreements prepared for this purpose.
- Before any fees are paid for the maintenance or renewal of applications for intellectual property rights which are filed or granted, the office shall inform the Creativity Committee in writing of the entitlement to such fees. The writing shall be accompanied by the period at which the intellectual property has reached the lease, not less than two months prior to the due date.
Tasks of Technology Transfer office:
- Raising awareness in the university and local community about the culture and intellectual property rights in the university.
- To view the outputs of the scientific research and its tangible results at the university.
- Examine the disclosures made to the Office of Technology Transfer to assess its novelty, innovation and applicability to the industrial application.
- Examine potential markets for disclosures made to the Office
- Examine new technologies and innovations in the field of disclosures provided.
- Preparation of evaluation reports for each disclosure made to the Technology Transfer office and submitted to the Creativity Committee. These reports include the types of intellectual property rights that each of these disclosures can receive as well as the potential markets for them, and the cost of filing, recording and protecting intellectual property rights.
- Support in the drafting of the patent specification and the preparation of legal documents necessary for the filing and registration of intellectual property rights in official institutions.
- Supporting the management of the intellectual property of the University.
- To give an opinion on the appropriate mechanisms for the leasing operations, and to support the Creativity Committee in preparing the recommendations related to the leasing.
- • Pursuing intellectual property rights, including negotiations and preparation of legal documents.
- Establish working relationships with the university community.
- Establish networks with the local and international industrial sector.
- To provide all information to the Creativity Committee which enables it to exercise its functions under the provisions of these instructions effectively.